Ok I know this is a little late. But you guys this so freakin' good I couldn't wait till next year to post another pumpkin recipe. I've been messing around in the kitchen trying to figure out the right amounts of olive oil and protein to keep the bread or cupcakes moist and flavorful! Plus I know most of us have pumpkin in our house right now, so go on and make this for the morning. You can thank me later. Any use up that left over candy from Halloween and make these adorable turkey cupcakes that you little ones can totally help make, and you can give away at your Thanksgiving celebration.
The secret to moist goodness in baking pumpkin bread is the olive oil. You really do need this much oil…without it the bread just doesn’t have the same consistency and you will be sadly disappointed. But the bonus to this recipe is the vanilla protein I added to help keep you full with this morning snack!
PUMPKIN BREAD INGREDIENTS
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cups vanilla protein (we use 1st Phorm Phormula-1 - it’s Michael’s go-to)
- 1/2 cups raw sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 15 oz can pumpkin
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (if wanted)
TURKEY CUPCAKES INGREDIENTS
- M&Ms (yellow, red and orange)
- Reeses Pieces Peanut Butter cups
- Sugar Candy Eyes
- Orange frosting (I used one out of a tube!)
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING INGREDIENTS
- 1 package of 8 oz cream cheese
- 5 cups confectionary sugar
- 1/2 stick butter | softened
- 1 tsp almond extract
PUMPKIN BREAD DIRECTIONS
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl mix together 1 1/2 cups of flour, 3/4 cups of vanilla protein, 1/2 cups of raw sugar, 2 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1/4 tsp ground cloves and 2 tsp pumpkin spice. Then set the bowl aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together 1 can of pumpkin, 4 eggs and 1 cup of olive oil till fully combined.
- Add wet mixture to the dry bowl until completely blended.
- If making pumpkin bread use a 15x10 baking baking pan and spray with nonstick cooking spray. If making muffins or cupcakes spray tins or line!
- For the pumpkin bread we made it half plain/ half chocolate chip! Simply sprinkle 1/4 cup of chocolate chips on the top of half.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes.
- In mixer bowl with the paddle attachment mix 1 8 oz package of cream cheese, 1/2 stick of softened butter & 1 tsp almond extract.
- Add confectionary sugar with mixer on low. Add 1-2 cups at a time.
- Stop frequently to scrape the sides.
- You need 3 Kit Kat pieces, 3 red M&Ms, 3 yellow M&Ms, and 3 orange M&Ms per cupcake.
- With a toothpick use frosting as glue to create tail feathers for your turkeys. I used one yellow, red and orange M&M per feather.
- To make the head use 1 Reeses Pieces Peanut Butter cup again with a tooth pick and using the frosting as glue, glue on two eyes.
- The gizzards are made from Twizzlers. We simply cut them apart until we felt like they looked similar to a gizzard.
- Once the eyes are glued, dab the orange frosting to create a beak.
- Now add frosting with a toothpick to the gizzard and stick to the peanut butter cup.
- Place tail feathers and the turkey faces on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer to help the frosting dry and stick together.
- Once the cupcakes are done let them cool completely before you frost. I like to use a frosting bag to provide more frosting for the tail feathers and the face to stick to.
- Stick 3 tail feathers into each turkey. Make sure to stick them in far enough that they don't fall over.
- Place the face in front into the frosting.
- Refrigerate until you are ready to eat!
***Remember these cupcakes must be refrigerated due to the cream cheese frosting!***