As our boys continue to grow, family traditions continue to grow with us. For us traditions doesn't mean those moments that happen only once a year. Our traditions happen everyday. And two family traditions have quickly become our favorites: Sunday family dinners and cooking with our kids.
These traditions are not new to my family, in fact I can remember as a kid looking forward to Sunday family dinners with my mom's family. I loved being able to get into the kitchen with my mom and grandma learning my way around the kitchen. Clearly that has stuck with me and my little dudes both want to get they're hands into all the kitchen fun. Zig is still too little to really help out but Zo is the perfect age to teach him all kinds of kitchen skills.
Today I'm sharing with you a family favorite in our house - sausage and polenta with RAGÚ® Homestyle Sauce. As a mom of two making dinner can sometimes be crazy over here. Continuing to find ways to have Zo help in the kitchen keeps him involved with meal time and out of trouble😉 As a kid my mom always had pantry staples for those busy nights, and as I'm sure you guessed RAGÚ® was one of them. So when I was given the opportunity to partner with them to share a family recipe with all of you I jumped right on board!
prep time: 5 minutes | cook time: 25 minutes | servings: 4
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup milk + 1/4 cup
- 1 cup corn meal
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 Italian sausages
- 3 peppers (I used red & yellow for color) chopped
- 1 onion | chopped
- 1/2 cup RAGÚ® Homestyle Sauces Thick & Hearty Roasted Garlic Sauce
- Boil 3 cups chicken stock & 1 cup milk. This part is easy for your little one to help out with pouring into your pan.
- Once boiling, whisk in 1 cup corn meal.
- Cook for 5 minutes on high heat whisking the entire time. If the corn meal starts to boil turn down the heat so you don't burn yourself😁
- Turn burner to simmer & continue to cook for an additional 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until your polenta no longer has a corn meal taste.
- While the polenta is cooking, cook the Italian sausages, about 7 to 10 minutes per side & sauté peppers & onions till slightly charred. I like to use homemade Italian chicken sausages from a local market.
- Once peppers & onions are cooked remove from heat and cover.
- In a small sauce pan add the 1/2 cup of RAGÚ® Homestyle Sauces Thick & Hearty Roasted Garlic Sauce for about 2 minutes over medium heat or until warm.
- After 20 minutes of cooking polenta, add 2 tbsp of butter & a 1/4 of milk to create a creamier texture.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Serve with polenta on bottom. Layer peppers, onions along side of the polenta.
- Top with sausage & 2 tbsp RAGÚ® Homestyle Sauces Thick & Hearty Roasted Garlic Sauce per plate.
Learn more about RAGÚ® Homestyle Sauces and discover more recipes for the family here.