There is something about spring that gets me thinking about broccoli and all the ways I can use it. Maybe it's knowing that I can find it out at local markets in the very near future, or maybe it's the fact that it's green and we are finally starting to see green too! Who knows. But here's a great creamy broccoli soup with added arugula and almond milk!
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 4 cloves garlic | chopped
- 1 onion | chopped
- 2 heads broccoli | chopped
- 1 cup arugula
- 3 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- Over medium high heat 2 tsp coconut oil in a dutch oven. Add 4 cloves of garlic for about 30 seconds till fragrant.
- Add 1 onion chopped and sauté for about 3 to 5 minutes until translucent.
- Add 2 heads of chopped broccoli. Sauté till bright green about 1 minute.
- Stir in 1 cup of arugula until it wilts about 1 minute.
- Add 3 cups broth bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 5 minutes.
- With a hand mixer or a blender purée till smooth or your chunky likeness!
- Add 1/2 cup almond milk and 1/2 lemon juice. Purée again.
- Stir in 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese and season with salt and pepper to your taste liking. I like to add lots of pepper to give it a kick and a tad bit of salt. Bring back to a simmer for about 1 minute.
- Serve with a sprinkle of cheese over the top!