Clearly we've got a thing for Mexican food in this house. I mean, we did have our wedding in Mexico! But I'm not sure you could call any of our recipes authentic...okay, not all of them. But we do have some authentic ones (I'll put those on the to post list soon, promise)! What I can tell you is that they are healthy and delicious!
This tortilla soup is thick, creamy, and hot (both in spice and temperature)! Plus, it is jumping with color. We've also been working hard on adding to our youtube channel you guys! Make sure to check us out and subscribe to see more mom wife foodie happenings!
- 2 cups cooked black beans - or - 2 cans
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans smashed into refried - or - 2 cans of refried beans
- 10 oz frozen corn
- 1 cup chipotle salsa
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- cilantro chopped, to taste
- tortilla chips crushed
- 2 avocados sliced
- greek yogurt, a dollop per soup bowl
- This recipe is perfect for your slow cooker!
- Add all beans (black and refried) to slow cooker.
- Add 10 oz corn, 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, 24 oz diced tomatoes and 1 cup of chipotle salsa to pot and stir.
- Add raw chicken to the pot.
- Slow cooker 7-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high till cooked through.
- Once time is up either pull chicken breast out of the cooker to shred or us a fork to do it right inside the cooker.
***To assemble the soup crush the tortilla chips, we put a small amount of chips on the bottom of the bowl, add soup to the top and top off with cheese, a dollop of greek yogurt, cilantro to taste, extra crushed tortilla chips for crunch and 2 slices of avocado to make the soup extra creamy in texture!***