Anyone who has a little one has got to do this. As with almost all things in parenting EVERYONE has an opinion on it. When you should do it, how long it should take, how you should potty train...I swear when we started to think about potty training E my head was spinning. Ok, not literally but I tried to take in all of the information I could gather from everyone I talked to, and trust me, it was A LOT! So I figured why not share my experience with you guys and talk about what worked and didn't work for E. I put it in a list format since I just love list so much!
- Timing is everything. If your little isn't ready to potty train it's not worth the pain & wet pants (or even worse, poopy ones!).
- Watch your little's behavior. Sometimes it can be difficult to know when your little is ready to potty train. Not every little is going to just come out and say, "I want to use the potty". My best advice is to see how they react to going to the bathroom. Does your little want their diaper changed as soon as they have gone? Does you little go to a private area to poop? Is your little not going poop because they don't like the feel? These are all good signs that your little might be ready.
- Create a plan. In order to be successful you need to know how you are going to tackle this time in you life. Are you going to time between potty times? Are you going to reward? Are you going to track how many times your little has gone? These are just a few things you need to think about.
- Be consistent. Yes, consistency is the key when it comes to potty training so make sure you and your partner are on the same page.
- Stay calm. I feel like this is an reoccurring theme in parenting. But seriously, you can't get mad when your little makes a mess. This is a learning process and the last thing you want is for your little to develop a fear or anxiety over going to the bathroom. It takes time.
- Celebrate. Even the little things. The first time your little goes on the potty...celebrate it! When they poop, celebrate! When they actually tell you they need to go to the bathroom, celebrate! You get it...celebrate every accomplishment with your little.
Wishing you the best of luck. I'd love to hear from you guys. Do you have other strategies that work with your little?